Re: [Phys-l] Retention: tail wags dog

On Jul 20, 2011, at 5:30 PM, John Denker wrote:

On 07/20/2011 12:47 PM, trappe@physics.utexas.edu wrote:
I recently received an "Instructor Responsibilities" list as part of a
teaching contract at a "For Profit" College.

I invite your comments on this particular item:
"You understand that 87% retention is the minimum student retention
expectation and will be included as part of your yearly evaluation."

Hmmm ... 87 percent of what?
I think he means 87% of the students who started the class will finish it.