Re: [Phys-l] Step down transformer trouble

Dear Paul,

A bunch of questions:

1.) Had it been working for a while and
then failed or is the door bell new and
never worked right?

1 1/2.) Does the transformer fail immediately
on being placed in the circuit?

2.) Any new electrical work in the house?

3.) Have you checked the doorbell switch(s)
circuit to see if the the resistance is
basically infinite when the button is not
pushed?

4.) Is it a simple door bell circuit? That
is it a simple loop of the secondary the
switch the bell and back to the secondary.

5.) Have you tried installing just the primary
side of the transformer for a while to see if
it blows the transformer with nothing on the secondary?

6.) Does the current rating of the transformer
match the current rating of the bell?

Thanks,
Roger