Re: [Phys-l] Decline/Improvement of US Science Scores internationally?

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

Kevin Laws (2011a) in his PhySoc post "Decline/Improvement of US Science Scores internationally?" wrote:

"Digging into the underlying . . . . .[[TIMSS <http://nces.ed.gov/timss/> and PISA <http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/pisa/>]]. . . .data , it appears that the US scores are unique among most countries on the list. Most countries have relatively similar scores across schools *within* the country. The US has widely divergent scores - districts with less than 10% poverty rate (similar poverty rate to all the top scoring countries on the test) actually outscore all other countries. The average that's compared internationally is driven primarily by very poor performance in the bottom performing districts in the US. THE CORRELATION BETWEEN POVERTY RATE IN THE DISTRICT AND THE DISTRICT'S SCORE IS STARTLINGLY STRONG. [My CAPS.]"

To which Art Hobson (2011) replied:

"That's quite an interesting observation, Kevin. If it's true, then the US education system is not at all a problem. The rich/poor gap, and specifically the existence of severe poverty, is instead the problem. Does anybody know of any published articles documenting Kevin's point?"

Eight articles or reports germane to the crucial influence of poverty on the U.S. educational system are (in chronological order):

1. "Our Impoverished View of Educational Reform" [Berliner (2005)];

2. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School Success" [Berliner (2009)];

3. "PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid" [Riddle (2010)];

4. "Another Look at PISA" [Ravitch (2011)];

5. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?" [Hake (2011a)];

6. Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain #3?" [Hake (2011b)];

7. "Is Poverty the Key Factor in Student Outcomes? " [Hamilton (2011)];

8. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics: Poverty is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality" [Marder (2011)].

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"For the short term, preparing teachers in mathematics and science is a wise and useful step toward improving schools. . . . . .[But]. . . As quickly as possible, we must understand the link between poverty and educational outcomes in the US, devise solutions, and test and implement them. Britain briefly tried to substitute public relations for aircraft safety and paid with the loss of its commercial aviation sector. I hope the United States can avoid a similar error, that proponents of teacher quality and charter schools will recognize the weakness of the evidence before it is too late, that we will not damage public education, let down our most vulnerable students, and lose technical leadership we take for granted."
Michael Marder (2011)

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 29 June 2011; most are shortened by <http://bit.ly/>.]
Berliner, D.C. 2005. "Our Impoverished View of Educational Reform," Teachers College Record, August 02, free online as an 872 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/ff8BVj>. Berliner argues that: "poverty places severe limits on what can be accomplished through school reform efforts, particularly those associated with the federal No Child Left Behind law. The data presented in this study suggest that the most powerful policy for improving our nations' school achievement isa reduction in family and youth poverty."

Berliner, D.C. 2009. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School Success." Education and Public Interest Center (Univ. of Colorado) and Education Policy Research Unit, (Arizona State University); online as a 729 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/g6UWUZ>. Post of 7 Apr 2011 17:51:59-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ifvkSz>. I wrote: "(a) if "academic gain" means "gain in higher-level learning for *U.S. K-12 students*," then the answer is: "NO! POVERTY is the dominant factor" - see 'I' and 'II' above, and the next most important factor is the degree to which 'Interactive Engagement' is provided by courses
and teachers - see III above."

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain? #3
" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/jy61UB>. Post of 3 May 2011 13:02:37 -0700. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/k1HsRH> with a provision for comments. I wrote: Regarding poverty as the dominant factor in higher-level learning gain for U.S. K-12 students," Reeve Hamilton (2011) in a recent report in the Texas Tribune titled "Is Poverty the Key Factor in Student Outcomes?" did an excellent job of showcasing Marder's analyses, which strongly suggest that (a) poverty rather than "teacher quality" is the dominant factor in Texas K-12 students'
academic gain in mathematics, and (b) charter schools are not the answer.

Hamilton, R. 2011. "Is Poverty the Key Factor in Student Outcomes? " Texas Tribune, 2 May; online at <http://bit.ly/mpkki0>.

Hobson, A. "Re: Decline/Improvement of US Science Scores internationally?" PhySoc post of 28 Jun 2011 15:15:47-0500; online at <http://bit.ly/lpQd72>.

Laws, K. 2011a. "Decline/Improvement of US Science Scores internationally?" PhySoc post of 27 Jun 2011 17:54:16-0700; online at <http://bit.ly/kyYyb9>. See also Laws (2011b) in which Laws points to o Riddle (2011).

Laws, K. 2011b. "Re: Decline/Improvement of US Science Scores internationally?" PhySoc post of 28 Jun 2011 21:01:46 -0700 ; online at <http://bit.ly/jMcgX5>. Laws wrote: "I was secretly hoping that I'd found something in the [PISA] data that nobody else had noticed and I could shift the educational debate in this country with it. Alas, it is not to be so. A few Google searches for "PISA and Poverty" show that many others have found this. Here's a summary . . . . [[Riddle (2011)]]. . . . that actually has tables with the stats in the article.

Marder, M. 2011. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics: Poverty is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality," to be submitted, online as a 3.3 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>.

Ravitch, D. 2011. "Another Look at PISA" in the Ravitch/Meier blog "Bridging Differences" of 4 January; online at <http://bit.ly/lz8xpf>. Ravitch wrote: "The other salient factor about U.S. performance on international tests is that we have an exceptional and shameful rate of child poverty. Isabel Sawhill of the Brookings Institution says that more than 20 percent of our children live in poverty, and she expects that proportion to increase to nearly 25 percent by 2014. As poverty deepens, Sawhill writes, we should be strengthening the safety net that protects the lives of the poorest. Robert Reich, the former treasury secretary in the Clinton administration, says that income inequality is higher now than it has been in many decades. Most of the nations (and cities) that compete on PISA have far lower child-poverty rates."

Riddle, M. 2010. "PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid," in the blog "Principle Difference," 15 December, online at <http://bit.ly/gA2RxV>. Riddle wrote: "There is, however, someone who recognizes that the data is being misinterpreted. NEAToday published remarks from National Association of Secondary School Principals Executive Director, Dr. Gerald N. Tirozzi, that have taken 'a closer look at how the U.S. reading scores on PISA compared with the rest of the world's, overlaying it with the statistics on how many of the tested students are in the government's free and reduced lunch program for students below the poverty line.' Tirozzi pointed out,'Once again, we're reminded that students in poverty require intensive supports to break past a condition that formal schooling alone cannot overcome.' Tirozzi demonstrates the correlation between socio-economic status and reading by presenting the PISA scores in terms of individual American schools and poverty. While the overall PISA rankings ignore such differences in the tested schools, when groupings based on the rate of free and reduced lunch are created, a direct relationship is established."