Re: [Phys-l] LED phosphorescence

In a message dated 6/25/2011 1:03:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jim.deane@gmail.com writes:

A more cost effective method is to use UV or blue LEDs and
broaden the light spectrum using phosphors.

What I am pretty sure is happening is that the phosphor needs time to
heat
up before it emits light over a broad spectrum, the purple tinge
reflects
the fact that the LED's being used are emitting UV light. I can't find
anything in the literature on LED lighting that talks about this, hence
my post.

Bob Zannelli

I am curious, when you cut power to the LED array, does the array
continue to glow at all? If so, what color?

It won't be a long-acting phosphor like they use in commercial
glow-in-the-dark materials these days, but it may have a residual
glow.

--

When the LED lights are shut off , they go dark instantly. If they have on
recently, and have not had time to cool down they come to full brightness

Bob Zannelli