Re: [Phys-l] Gibbs paradox (redux)

Okay I've thought through matters again and I have boiled things down to two questions:

1. The philosophical question. Is it possible to have an ideal gas composed of particles that are identical but distinguishable? Versteegh spends quite a bit of space in his paper arguing that the answer is yes, but I'm beginning to have doubts. When I say "is it possible" I do NOT mean "in theory" but "in reality". Specifically Sec VII in Versteegh is beginning to bother me. I quote: "When the individual one-particle wave packets in the many-particle state have small spatial extensions and do not overlap, ... they approximately follow the paths of classical particles. ... Narrow wave packets can follow trajectories through space-time, and as long as they remain separated from each other, these wave packets remain as distinguishable as classical particles. ... The Gibbs paradox can be resolved without invoking the indistinguishability of particles. We see that quantum theory does not change the relevant characteristics of the situation, so that quantum theory is irrelevant to the resolution of the paradox. ... If the particles are (approximately) localized, permutation produces a different microstate just as in classical mechanics."

My problem with this description is that it seems to me that in a gas composed of a large number of particles flying around at high speeds, the particles WILL collide from time to time in the sense of overlap their wavefunctions and hence it will NOT be possible to keep track of the phase-space trajectories of individual particles indefinitely. I think a simple calculation involving the thermal de Broglie wavelength, Maxwell-Boltzmann average speed, and realistic parameters of say helium-4 at STP should settle the matter. Someone encourage me to do the calculation and I will.

2. The practical question. Let's ignore question 1 and assume an equilibrated spinless monatomic ideal gas of identical but distinguishable particles exists, at least in theory. Assume the temperature is high enough that we can treat the translational states as a continuum and replace the partition function sums by integrals; but assume the temperature is low enough that no electronic or nuclear excited states are populated. Room temperature easily fits between these two limits. Assume 1 mole of gas so we can use Stirling's approximation. Since we're only considering translations in 3D, we have internal energy U = 1.5 N k T. Take the volume to be say V = 1 L cube (10 cm on a side). Here comes the question: TRUE or FALSE - the entropy of the gas is given by the standard Sackur-Tetrode equation? Specifically, suppose we double V, N, and U for the gas - does S double? (Operationally, put two copies of the gas systems side by side, and then remove the partition separating them.)

If you have Schroeder "Thermal Physics" handy, you may wish to look at Eqs. (2.55) and (2.57) and the discussion surrounding them. Schroeder's solution is to simply say that an ideal gas of identical but distinguishable particles CANNOT exist and so this practical question is moot. But other authors like Swendsen and Versteegh disagree.

Does this posting make it clearer what my problems are?
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363