Re: [Phys-l] spherical waves

On 06/23/2011 08:46 AM, Kyle Forinash wrote:

A spherical wave spreads out so obviously the energy per area (intensity)
decreases as 1/r2, we expect that just from geometric considerations.

OK.

But does the amplitude also decrease?

Obviously it must.

A simple y(r,t)=Asin(kr-wt) with r
being a polar coordinate says no

That's not a solution of the wave equation.

(and a plane wave in a perfect medium does not).

Plane waves are different. The spreading argument in the first
sentence above does not apply to plane waves.

Several wave books (Berkeley physics waves p 372) I have show that the
Poynting vector of the radiation from an accelerating charge is
proportional to charge squared, acceleration squared and 1/r^2. But how
does that relate to amplitude of the wave?

Since the energy of such a wave scales like amplitude squared,
in the far field the amplitude *must* scale like 1/r.

By "far field" I mean r large compared to the wavelength.

In the near field things might be slightly more complicated,
since we need to worry about curvature of the wave fronts.

What was I saying yesterday about scaling arguments being
tremendously powerful?

===================

To anticipate a possible follow-up question:

This gets even more interesting if we consider a spherical wave
in air (not the EM field), and in particular a wave that is not
sinusoidal but rather a wave that starts out as a step-function
traveling wave. Such waves commonly arise from popping a balloon
or setting off an explosion, such that some _extra air_ is released
at the origin and it wants to spread out.

We start by writing down an Ansatz, i.e. a hypothetical wavefunction,
of the form
ψ = (1/r) step(r - vt) [1]

That fails because it doesn't account for the amount of /air/
in the wave. In such a wavefunction, the amplitude would
have to fall off like 1/r^2, in order to conserve air molecules.

But we know it can't fall off like 1/r^2, because that would not
conserve energy.

Therefore the Ansatz [1] is not viable.

In fact what happens is that even though the wave starts out as
a step function, it cannot continue that way. Wiggles develop.
Roughly speaking the envelope of the wiggles falls off like
1/r so as to conserve energy ... and within the envelope there
will be positive _and negative_ values of ψ, such that the
negative regions allow for conservation of air.

This is in fact observed. The timbre of the sound of an
explosion changes as a function of r. Up close the sound is
a sharp SNAP, whereas farther away it turns into a BOOM.
By playing off two scaling arguments against each other,
we know this *must* always happen.

To say the same thing another way: We commonly say that air
is a "non-dispersive" medium for sound waves. Beware that
the dispersion relation for spherical waves *is* dispersive,
even though the medium itself is non-dispersive.

Spherical waves are just different from plane waves.