Re: [Phys-l] pedagogical reform in an introductory biology class - a response

An article in the Chronicle of Higher Education makes a brief
mention of physics education research, as does the associated paper in Science (linked in the
article).

http://chronicle.com/article/Low-Cost-Instructional-Changes/127747/

Beverly Karplus Hartline and I drafted a response letter to the editor of Science about the referenced article. It was not accepted for publication, so we can share it with you here:

Haak et al. (Reports, 6 June 2011, p. 1213) report improved student learning and a dramatically reduced achievement gap between disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged students taking a highly structured introductory biology course, compared with more traditionally taught, lecture-intensive versions of the course. The mandatory (graded) active-learning exercises included pre-class reading quizzes, daily multiple-choice clicker questions in a peer-instruction format, weekly practice exams, and extensive informal group work in class. The authors' measurement of the effectiveness of the low-cost active-learning instructional approach compared with traditional lecture and 'hybrid' approaches mixing lecture with optional active-learning activities provides important convincing evidence that has been all too anecdotal in the past. This work reminded us of Robert Karplus' pioneering, now 30+ year-old idea (1) about the importance of both student autonomy and input from the expert teacher to accelerate and reinforce student learning of any subject that requires understanding of concepts and principles. For a more complete discussion of these and related ideas in science education by Karplus, see "A Love of Discovery." (2)

Attracting students to science and helping them learn is a primary professional purpose of many readers of Science. How can we enable science teaching and learning at all levels to adopt the advances and 'proven practices,' such as those described by Haak et al., with similar speed and efficiency as we demonstrate in the advancement of the frontiers of discovery, tools, and techniques in our disciplinary and interdisciplinary research?