[Phys-l] Modeling Workshop openings this summer: HS physics, chem, phys sci teachers

(Please forward to high school teachers.)

ANNOUNCEMENT: MODELING WORKSHOPS
June 8, 2011 update
Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical science will be held in summer 2011 at 28 sites in 20 states.

These locations still have openings, to the best of my knowledge:
Phoenix AZ (physical science: June 13-July 1 & July 5-22; chemistry II: July 5-15)
Chicago IL (physics, July 25-Aug 5)
southern Maine (physics, July 25-29, Aug 1-5)
Winona MN (physics, Aug. 8-12)
central NJ (chemistry, physics, July 6-21). They use inverted sequence pcb.
southern NJ, near Philadelphia (physics, June 27-July 5)
Albuquerque NM (physics, June 13-July 1)
Buffalo NY (physics, July 26-Aug 12)
Dallas TX (physics, June 13-17, 20-24, 27-July 1)
Seattle WA (physics, July 5-22).

Visit http://modeling.asu.edu/MW_nation.html
NEW! Modeling Workshops are described in detail at http://www.ptec.org/pd .
(Interested? Contact workshop organizer soon, for courtesy.)

Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Content is reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence. Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work through activities alternately in the roles of student or teacher, as they practice techniques of guided inquiry and cooperative learning.

Modeling Instruction is one of two K-12 science programs designated by the U.S. Department of Education as EXEMPLARY.

Graduate credit is available at most of these sites.

Comments by teachers:
* David Braunschweig (retired; consultant for Vernier Software & Technology) wrote: "After the first year of teaching using the modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years ago."
* In the one year that I have been modeling, I have seen wonderful results.
* [As a graduate student in physics], I discovered the modeling method
of instruction to be a rigorous approach to physics instruction on the high school level, and one that is consistent with the way physicists understand the universe. (Doug Vallette)
* Compared to "traditional" physics teaching, at our school modeling has
created:
(A) Larger enrollment in physics and AP Physics
(B) Higher retention of students majoring in engineering and science when
they go off to college
(C) Greater quantitative analytical skills
(D) Greater quantitative presentation skills
(E) Much higher ability for "future non-science students" to communicate
with science people
(F) No plugging and chugging.
* We have had 3 physics teachers and 5 chemistry teachers enhance their professional development at your ASU modeling workshops. Modeling has made a world of difference in our science courses. (Ray Howanski)
--
cheers,
Jane