Re: [Phys-l] Apps for iPhone

At 1:52 PM +1200 2/6/11, Derek Chirnside wrote:
My first post here since 1999. Just rejoined the list after a small
digression into other fields. The world has changed in the meantime.

Derek,
If I remember correctly you were in Christchurch. If you are still there, I hope you did not suffer anything nasty from the earthquake. (I left University of Canterbury in 1974.)

Does anyone know of any projects on using an iPhone as a simple datalogger?
eg a timer (simple break a light beam to start, break a light beam to stop)
- or even recording a lot of time intervals. Or a counter.
I'm assuming the OS inside is able to do this, I'm just not sure how easy it
is.

Sparkvue is a free app from Pasco. It will graph x, y, z and resultant acceleration from the sensors in the iPhone. If you want to go a step further, get the Pasco Air-Link, plug in a PasPort sensor, pair with your iPhone (bluetooth) and you can record data directly to the iPhone. Not cheap but works well (and we already have a good range of sensors). It works even better on my new iPad2!
Not quite what you were asking for but well worth looking at.

Bruce McKay
St. Ignatius' College,
Riverview,
Sydney,