Re: [Phys-l] Q from amplitude width?

On 2011, Apr 25, , at 01:03, John Denker wrote:

Additional advice, pertaining to this particular equation of motion:
There are several different definitions of Q in the literature.
They are all equivalent in the high-Q limit, but may differ when
Q is small. This is discussed in the Feynman lectures somewhere.
So pick one definition, stick to it, and explicitly communicate it
to all concerned.
___

True the two I use are equivalent for linear dissipation w/ Q > 50 [~ < a few percent difference.] **

My question was how to extract from the data*** of the response the Q defined by the narrowness of the response in order to compare w/ the exponential free decay definition.

The usual answer to all such questions -- a verrry wide range of questions --
is to parameterize the equation of motion and then curve-fit the data to
extract the parameters.

This is how I find the Q from the free decay.

I now see how I can do that for my experiment by varying the drive (gamma) to keep B constant in the equation:

B = (Gamma / mgL) * C1 / sqrt[ (c1-1/c1)^2 + 1/Q^2], where C1 = resonant (natural) frequency / drive frequency, B is the response amplitude , and Gamma is the drive amplitude.

But I'm maths challenged.

** My source for most of my work is Baker and Blackburn, "The Pendulum".
***i.e. where on the graph is the 0.707 (or half power) reduction.

bc now thinks he has a method to proportionally compare, but not absolutely from the graphs.