[Phys-l] para/dia-magnetism

There has been some discussion of history of science. I have a historical question, but I'm not necessarily interested in a historical answer. I might be quite happy with a "just so" story.

My question is why the prefixes "para" and "dia" for magnetism?

I'm okay with the idea of a paramagnet as one in which the induced magnetic dipole moment u is PARAllel to the external magnetic field B.

Great, but why the term diamagnet for the case in which u is opposite to B?

In particular, what connection (if any) is there to the terms "dielectric" (for which the induced electric dipole moment p is parallel to the external electric field E) and "diathermal" (which is a material which allows the flow of heat readily, as opposed to "adiathermal").

Seems like contradictory uses of the word "di" here, but maybe I'm mixing up "di" and "dia" or maybe I'm trying to make a connection when there isn't any. Any thoughts? -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363