Re: [Phys-l] [ncnaapt] another crackpot idea from the California legislative assembly

I am very surprised -- I thought most of the energy in deforming a piezo xtal would dissipate, instead, at least w/ quartz, it a 95% conversion efficiency to electric energy. (So the below claims.) Of course quartz is unusual in being very elastic. Note the need for rather big crystals as road vibration is not in the one MHz range!

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984PhDT.........9E

and some rather detailed analysis:

http://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~yichung/power_harvesting-jmm-2006.pdf

BTW quartz is expensive.

bc pleased by Bill's agreement.
Remember: "No one wants advice-- only corroboration." J. Steinbeck

p.s. Prius' are efficient because they are lite -- lotsa plastic instead of steel, use a more efficient engine cycle (closer to the Carnot)**, and of course the recovery of KE.

** well I'm not so certain about this; see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle