Re: [Phys-l] irresistible force v. immovable object

It can be physics. It is about "infinite momentum" versus "infinite inertia".
The result is "infinite energy transfer".

This may illustrate the problem of idealization.
However, there are other higher priority questions for the students.

Alphonsus

Quoting Mike Viotti <mike.viotti@gmail.com>:

I totally agree that situations like these present teachable moments, but
they're not physics. By definition they can't be! We can't have an
unstoppable force. We can't have an immovable object. Use the student's
question to foster critical thinking, fine. But it's not physics. By
pretending that it is, we're really depriving the student the clarity he/she
deserves. We say that physics is used to model the real world, so how can
we possibly extend its uses to something that is not an element of the real
world?

Massless pulleys (etc.) are different, because we acknowledge that the real
world doesn't exactly work that way, but we have to start with simple cases
and work our way up. We are honest with students about this; we don't pull
the wool over their eyes. In my view, there is a distinct difference
between approximations that simplify a complex problem to a manageable one
and artificial constructs that attempt to physically explain something that
cannot possibly exist. The separation between those two groups is not
trivial.