Re: [Phys-l] irresistible force v. immovable object

At 4:58 PM -0500 2/23/11, Mike Viotti wrote:
It was specifically aimed at Chuck who mentioned
that infinitesimals might not be allowed because space-time is discrete.
Ask yourself this: what is more important to an introductory physics
student, the concept that a small net force will accelerate even a massive
object, or the reconciliation between QM and GR in terms of quantized
space-time?

Yeah, this might indeed have been one of my problems with teaching intro physics for those decades.
I always wanted to do more than the 'book'.
I'll say that it worked for a number of kids who went on to Harvey Mudd, CalTech, MIT and such
as WELL as some who were right in off the tobacco farms and considered NCSU to be a great school before they moved on to do 'Great Things' in Silicon Valley or such.

I was fascinated early on by infinities and such, and didn't consider them to be the 'Corrupters of Youth' that many of Cantors foes did.

Too much rigor teaches Rigor Mortis.
If Physics can't be made interesting and relevant - it shouldn't be taught.

(Just My Opinions)