Re: [Phys-l] Another practical problem (challenge problem)

Ha ha!

My friend corrected me; it was Huygens who invented the cheeks, but airy did discuss cycloidal pendula in detail.

bc mustn't trust his memory, especially in the age of Google and Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiaan_Huygens

I didn't find (cursorily) a reference to his having made the cheeks, but he also discussed (invented) the cycloid (probably the person to which JD referred.)

http://www.besslerwheel.com/airy/Airy_on_Pendulums_and_Balance_Wheels.html