Re: [Phys-l] Should teachers blog???

I agree here. I'm also fortunate to teach at a private school. I love what
I do, but my job is not "perfect." No such thing. Kids are kids. I have no
discipline problems. Students are ultimately responsible to do the work
and learn physics. Some students are irresponsible and some are lazy, but
that's true anywhere. This is not my issue, so no need to "criticize" the
students. If teachers criticize more than the enjoy their work, then they
need to do something else. I can't imagine doing anything but my passion
-- teaching.

We as a society need to be more positive, more uplifting. There is way too
much bashing going on. Just read the blogs on any Yahoo news story. Too
much anger out there...

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Well, there are two questions here. The first is should teachers be
able to blog about their students legally without any repercussions
from the school? Personally, I would think that schools could word
their contracts so that public statements that have negative effects
on the students will result in disciplinary action. But apparently the
courts are deciding differently. The second question is *should*
teachers blog about their students? I think that one is pretty clear.
You don't undermine what you're trying to do in the classroom by
singling out students for ridicule. Even if the teacher doesn't use
names, the students in the class will likely know who the teacher is
talking about. Would this same teacher make disparaging remarks about
students in front of the rest of the class? Maybe, but that's not
wise. The old saying is praise in public and criticize in private.

Bill