Re: [Phys-l] Special Relativity

On 2/1/2011 9:00 AM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
/snip/
Since all methods of information transmission via E&M waves involves some encoding/decoding process, I would suggest that compensation for a Doppler-shifted carrier should be part of the decoding process.
/snip/
Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.

Since we are on the topic of encoding audio information, perhaps I can
add a little more...

It is easy to suppose that the Nyquist criterion is a limiting factor on audio sampling,
but entropy has a part to play: it's a question of how much is known a priori on the audio source.

To take the usual example: if I wished to communicate the sound of a telephone tone-dialing a ten digit number, I could simply pass the ten digits over the link. This might account for five bytes of data. As reconstituted, the durations of the various tones would be lost, it's true.

What if I passed the frequencies, their phase relations and durations over the link?

Or if I were feeling really expansive, I could sample at the Nyquist criterion....

Brian W