Re: [Phys-l] mechanical (Applies to all, I presume.) on reflection question.

BC, you show a movie of an 'al fresco' version of the Shive machine, which was designed to provide a visual illustration of slow transverse wave propagation and reflections. I am afraid your note does not specify if the movie shows the effect of a fixed, or of a free end. The illustration I provide (below) has three still pictures showing the effect of a fixed or a free end. [If your browser does not depict these three still pictures across the width of your display, you may find the description confusing.]

The fixed end reflects an inverted pulse (not 'phase-reversed' as described) whereas the free end reflects an isopolar pulse.
An end provided with the same acoustic impedance as the loaded transmission rod would be expected to minimize reflections of either type.

<http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/services/demos/demosg3/g3-03.htm>

Brian W