Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

At 16:38 -0700 01/29/2011, William Robertson wrote:

Just anecdotal.....I spent a few years in a lower middle class elementary school. There were troublemakers. Kids threatening you during and after class. Fights after school every day. Back then these kids were sent to "reform school." I don't know if that helped them, but it certainly helped the rest of us learn in a less threatening atmosphere. That was successful. If you need extra money for that, decriminalize pot and free up all sorts of money spent in correctional institutions. Pot is essentially legal anyway, what with medical marijuana. Go to an ersatz doctor, complain of chronic back pain, get a prescription, and then go next door to get your maui wowie (I'm sure that name places me completely out of touch with pot names these days). Disclaimer: Not against the legitimate uses of medical pot.

And while classroom teachers might be capable of dealing with such situations (that could be arguable), their hands are tied. Simply not allowed in most schools.

I don't want those situations handled by the teacher. We are not qualified to take that on, and we have too much other stuff to do anyway. My rant was basically why we keep treating what are clearly psychological conditions often brought on by external events (read: abuse) as criminal action. It has never worked and shows no possibility of working in the future.

But the assumption of criminality in these cases is nearly universal, and so we stigmatize a group of individuals, most of whom could be helped if given the right assistance by someone who knows what they are doing, treating them as criminals, and as a result, in a tragic self-fullfilling prophecy, making most of them criminals. And since most (but clearly not all) of these children come from poor families, it also helps us to stigmatize the poor as not worthy of our help or concern.

To paraphrase Ghandi, civilization would be wonderful, if only we had some.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org