Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

On Jan 27, 2011, at 5:12 PM, William Robertson wrote:

Try living the life for real !

I take that to mean that we have a certain situation and it can't
change. I have never taught in an inner city or otherwise poor-
socioeconomic school, but I have worked with teachers, and observed
the goings on, in such schools. I recently visited a school in
Nashville where there were feces in all the urinals. The students who
helped me in setting up for my workshops (this was an honor position
for the students) could not, for the most part, compose a
grammatically correct sentence. I agree with most of what you said in
your post, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and say
that's the way it is. Why should any teacher have to do his or her job
in a "war zone"? If you don't want motivated students to receive
vouchers to escape their situation, then why should we not work to
clean up the schools they're in, so they can learn without major
disruptions? Not only are schools pressured to accept students who
have been expelled, it is almost unheard of for students to fail
classes and have to repeat a grade. We end up "graduating" students
who can't read and write. If students graduate without even being able
to function in society, what's the point in keeping them in schools to
the detriment of students who want to be there?

Everything you say is rational, agreeable, and makes perfect sense. The reality is somewhat different. Most of the teachers I worked with were dedicated, talented individuals caught in circumstances that were intolerable, to say the least. The best ones were the middle-class, middle-age ladies: Black, White, and Hispanic, who were sometimes near tears when they saw what went on there. These ladies worked so hard to instill values into some of those kids only to get rebuffed and disrespected at every turn. The fault lies in many places and on many heads, not the least was the promotion system where the administrators were chosen. Nepotism, cronyism, and incompetence at the top made this city seem like old time Tammany Hall. I can only write about this particular city, although many others operate the same way. Most teachers want to do well, but are stymied at every turn by administrators whose cousins are on the board, or who want to see only good p.r. in the papers. Don't fail anyone; don't send too many to the office; keep your mouth shut and your door shut. Remember, I taught physics, so much of this didn't apply to me; however, the game was afoot for those 9th grade teachers who dealt with the ones who cut classes, got into fights daily, dissed their teachers and fellow students, or who stood around outside smoking blunts and went down the street to do "their thing."
Sometimes the most exciting event was when the 8th grade girls from the nearby Middle School came running down the street toward our school to rumble with our 9th grade girls. Large security guards would get out of the way to avoid being clawed, punched, spat on, scratched, and have their hair pulled out, by these "young ladies." The police were called only to come a half hour later when the rumble was over. When it was over, the principal would come on the p.a. system to say, "Young ladies do not act that way. If I see this happen again I will suspend you." Well, next week the same thing happened, and the same announcement was made. No one was ever suspended.
I often had cafeteria duty, where, unless you watched the door like a hawk, some outsider would come in and start something with a student inside. At times we had to have a security guard stand with us or else some 250 pound guy would push us aside to come in to start something with another 250 pound 9th grader. Even the best security guards would occasionally get pushed aside. One time a food fight broke out and someone threw a bottle, narrowly missing me and a few others. That evening I got a call from the principal. "Are you ok?" "Yes, why?" "Someone said you got hit by a bottle." "No, it missed." "Thank goodness, see you tomorrow. " "Ok, bye." In my younger days I could handle almost anything and could talk with almost anyone... after I turned 50 I was considered a seasoned veteran and could talk down the most scary kids, up to a point. But, when the toughest, meanest, scary "kids" (high or drunk) entered that cafeteria and told us to "f--- off or I'll f--- you up," that did it and I started planning to get out. (Especially when the administrator on duty there told me to "stand by the door and don't move from your post"!)

Teach for America? another joke... not because they are poor teachers; many of them are quite good. But, they don't stay long enough to make any difference. They are there long enough to write essays and books about their urban experience. Two years ago, the supervisor of science called me in August to offer me one of eight science openings because the TFA people had all left, some after two years, some after three years, no one stayed for more than five years. The latest TFA to leave was the physics teacher who was there for 4 years: I was offered that job also (in my old classroom with my old materials... tempting, but no thanks.). So, yes, we would all love to see things change, but sorry to say, "it ain't gonna happen... not in our lifetime." We will be "Waiting for Superman" long after they have abolished tenure, done away with pensions, and made all the baby-boomers retire.

Marty