Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

On 01/26/2011 08:05 PM, Rman Towndog wrote:
I'm teaching Physics (Algebra Based), we are learning about kinematics in 1-D.
I have students that have trouble listing knowns and unknowns. I tried to get
the students to learn the units (e.g. speed is m/s, etc), so they would know how
to do this step, but it's been largely unsuccessful. Any tips?

I don't understand the question, in the following ways:

1) I've never attached much importance to "knowns" versus "unknowns".
That's because in real-world situations, especially if there is
any kind of feedback involved, there is no clean dividing line
between knowns and unknowns. Depending on style, different people
can choose different sets of "knowns" (or none at all) and solve
problems equally well.

Yeah, I know that at the intro level, textbook problems are cooked
to look like they have definite "knowns" and definite "unknowns",
but this is such an artificial game that I'm not interested.

Also, to the extent that there are "knowns", there are billions
of them, so we need to ask which of them are /relevant/, which
is an entirely different question. The question generally has
no unique answer.

2) Units are important, but I cannot imagine how focusing on units
helps with knowns-versus-unknowns, or vice versa.

Therefore, in light of (1) and (2), some tips:
A) If the _only_ problem has to do with "knowns", I suggest you just
skip it and move on. It's not worth worrying about.

B) OTOH I suspect there are some actual problems afoot. The problems,
whatever they may be, will produce a long list of symptoms, not
confined to knowns-versus-unknowns, and before diagnosing the problems
I would need to know a lot more about the symptoms.

For example, in an algebra-based physics course, there will be some
students who can't do algebra. Can I assume you checked for that?

There are a gazillion other basic checks that need to be made.
Knowns-versus-unknowns is only one item on a very long list, if
it's on the list at all.