[Phys-l] Biofuel Generator

Fingers crossed!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Biotechnology firm Joule Unlimited may have come up with a game changer in the quest for economically viable biofuels.

"Joule is applying advanced genome engineering to develop a library of proprietary organisms, each one optimized for productivity according to the desired end product. Because the organisms are engineered to directly synthesize and secrete fuels, we will avoid costly steps such as large-scale biomass production and collection or other downstream refinement. Our technology has already been proven with the direct conversion of CO2 to liquid hydrocarbons and ethanol, avoiding the economic and environmental burden of multi-step, petroleum- or biomass-dependent methods."