Re: [Phys-l] Simulated Labs for General Physics Course

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Lulai" <plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us>

Separately, simulations might be used to prep for the actual lab work. One could ask why there are differences btn the simulation and lab data, what assumptions might the simulation make for the sake of simplification.

The lab simulations you'll find at the site below (all recently updated) were originally designed for just this purpose. Based on (and mostly using images from) the labs we do here, these simulations allow the collection of raw data for analysis. Initially envisioned as a pre/post lab tool, these can also be effectively used for students who miss a lab and then the time/equipment is not available for a physical make-up lab. In a rare case where the equipment is NOT available at all and the instructor sees value in the experiment itself, a lab could be run entirely as the simulation, but I don't really recommend that.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software
New 'Hi-Def' versions being posted as completed.