Re: [Phys-l] modern light sources

I guess at some point we'll have to pay PASCO $50 for an "blackbody lamp."

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:42 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] modern light sources

On 01/18/2011 01:43 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
I am personally very concerned about the move to drop incandescents.
I am one of those who are very sensitive to the strobe effect of
fluorescent bulbs (my eyes have what is known as a high "flicker
fusion frequency"). I avoid stores that use fluorescents as much as I
practically can and I light my office with incandescents.

However, I am very encouraged about the development of LED lighting.
I have an LED lamp that I use in my lab and I am quite comfortable
working with it on - just as much as with incandescent. LED's are
currently rather expensive, but I am sure the cost will come down. I
would hate to see fluorescents mandated to the detriment of research
on LEDs.

I agree that the flicker can be a serious problem ... not
just with old-style fluorescents, but also with TVs and
computer screens under a wide range of conditions.

At one point I worked rather closely with someone who was
very sensitive to flicker. Survival required special
lighting. It also required computer screens with a very
high scan rate, which at the time was doable but expensive.

A modern "compact" fluorescent should not have any perceptible
flicker in normal operation.

I reckon LEDs will take over at some point. As they become
more and more widely deployed, they will get cheaper and
cheaper.

I'm not entirely pleased with fluorescents because of the
amount of mercury they contain.