----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

We should also keep in mind that in an office building of any
reasonable size, there is no need for heating of any kind --
not from heat balls, heat pumps, or anything else -- because
the people and the office equipment produce more heat than is
needed. They have to run the cooling equipment year-round.

Not sure about this--certainly not in my 'neck of the woods'. I can look at
our Science building which is regularly occupied by many more people than
would be in an office building, computers and the like in every office with
extra computers around the building, lab and office equipment running
constantly. The building gets damn cold in the winter even though the
building is heated. Now to be sure, all our lights are flourescent and the
building is not occupied (or barely so) in the evenings and weekends, but
then neither are most office buildings. Maybe I've missed something earlier
in this thread though?

Rick