Re: [Phys-l] Electron vs. Alpha particle...

'Pilots' glories' are seen on the return optical path from sunlight on clouds.
An often told anecdote has CTR Wilson engrossed by a glory in mountain fog
at a Scottish Highlands met station returning to Cambridge to invent the cloud chamber.

Anthelions are (usually) seen where ice crystals are present.

Maraldi bright spots in the aircraft shadow require good visibility to the
Sunlit ground path. It's difficult to see these as an airline passenger,
where the view directly down is obscured.

Brian W