[Phys-l] diophantine equations

Why are diophantine equations defined as having integer-only solutions? Is it merely so that those solutions that are integer-only have a name? It seems easy to find a "diophantine equation" whose solutions are real or complex, as well as integer. Is it then no longer a diophantine equation?

I guess I'm trying to get at whether this is just a semantic distinction or whether there is a deeper reason for the naming convention. Is there a name for the same equation when referring to non-integer solutions?

Stefan Jeglinski