Re: [Phys-l] looking for set of filters for activity experiment

I was a penny pincher at UCSC, so we made ours from kitchen foil, litho. plates from the print shop, Al "pop" cans, etc. Lotsa Pb sheets from SCIP (surplussed detectors for SLAC). I forgot where we got carbon blocks.

bc thinks better luck from the tap-l list.

http://physicslearning.colorado.edu/PiraHome/tapl/PIRATapL.html

p.s. many rad. source companies sell kits. Making your own is superior as the student(s) must find the areal density.

p.p.s. the intermediate lab.'s rad experiment initially included an experiment to find the spectrum of the Cs-137 gamma spectrum (actually Ba-137 isomeric state) by absorption. If interested, I'll send or post:

http://www.cleyet.org/