Re: [Phys-l] Newton and Snell (was Global evolution as fact)

Hi all,

I'm not sure I would dismiss kinematics so readily. There are certainly a number of E and M applications of kinematics where one doesn't have to worry about air resistance, and there are practical applications such as auto accident reconstruction. Plus, 2-D kinematics can be a valuable introduction to the general notion of orthogonal independence that permeates much of physics. I do agree with John that the topic must be addressed in the context of true understanding rather than generalized formula plugging, the latter being all too common.

Bill