Re: [Phys-l] Is the Poisson distribution appropriate to describe the bunched arrival of shoppers at the pay point?

Judging from my observations of snow-clearing operations in Quebec, which tends
to have greater snow fall than most parts of the contiguous 48, they have adopted a rather
different strategy from one line, multiple servers.
In Montreal, I seemed to see a prioritized line, multiple servers approach: - come to think
of it I have seen premium passengers walk to the front of an airline ticket line in much
the same way.
Choose main thoroughfares, and send a series of snow plows adequate to keeping
that main route open starting at the onset of heavy snowfalls, and continuing
all night long, if necessary. Ignore side streets.

Brian W