Re: [Phys-l] Marilyn does it again

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Does she not know how to test corner-cases, like if an employee has been with the company for _a_long_time_?

________________________________
From: John Mallinckrodt <ajm@csupomona.edu>
To: Phys-L: Forum for Physics Teachers <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:24 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] Marilyn does it again

I think phys-l readers will get a kick out of today's "Ask Marilyn" column.  I think it is possible that she has never been so ludicrously wrong.

  http://www.parade.com/askmarilyn/2011/12/Sundays-Column-12-25-11.html

In fairness, I think it's pretty clear that the problem stems not from poor mathematical skills, but simply from astoundingly bad reading skills (likely amplified by her increasing tendency to phone it in.)  It seems pretty clear to me that she somehow managed to read the question as something more like, "IF a person has NOT been tested for a year, what is the probability that they will be tested the next time?"

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona