From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Lulai [plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:59 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] permittivity vs dielectric

Hello.
How is the permittivity value of some none free space material different from that same materials dielectric constant value?
I'm thinking about capacities, and the dieletric value is included when calculating capacitance with the dimensions of the capacitor, so the dielectric constant doesn't seem to depend on the materials dimensions.
I wonder if they are proportional to each other (for a given material), and could be thought of as being the same property.
Thanks for your help.

P.s. this them brings up a similar question for permiability values.

Thanks for your help.
Happy holidays.

Paul.