Re: [Phys-l] [PHYSHARE] Simulations and Computer Homework Problemsfor Freshman and Sophomores - Visualization

Should teaching and learning styles match?
By Claudia Rinaldi and Regan Gurung
Abstract
We assessed the learning styles preference of forty-five students and
divided them into groups based on their learning preference. Each group then
completed 4 assignments each highlighting one of four learning preferences
(auditory, visual, tactile, and kinesthetic). Group scores on each
assignment showed that designing assignments to match students' learning
styles does not lead to better performance but active learning positively
relates to overall learning. Scores on the auditory and tactile assignments
were significantly different, but not in the hypothesized direction (i.e.,
auditory learners did not perform best on the auditory assignment).
Nonetheless, students preferred assignments that matched their particular
learning styles.

Then there is:
Writing in the journal Psychological Science in the Public Interest,
cognitive scientists Hal Pashler, Mark McDaniel, Doug Rohrer, and Robert
Bjork argue that, of the thousands of articles published on learning styles
in recent decades, few really put the theory to an adequate test.

Various publications by Willingham claim the same thing. I disagree with
him on some particulars, but I think he is right on with respect to learning
styles. There is way too much pop psychology pushed in educationa of which
learning styles is a good example.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Do you remember the citation of the study? I have heard of
this study from
other sources but have not read the study itself. If you
could give me a
line to hunt it down I would appreciate it.

Visualization is certainly necessary, but the distinction
between visual
and
auditory learners is not very important. The learning
preference has been
often touted as requiring that information be presented in
multiple ways
satisfy all learners. But this has been disproven. They
tested students
for their learning preference and then ran two experiments
back to back.
In
the first one all information was presented auditorily, and
then tested.
The second one presented all information visually, and then
tested. The
results were that students preference did not matter.
Auditory and visual
learners learned the same no matter the mode of presentation.