[Phys-l] WaPo : standardized tests

A couple of articles from the Gomorrah Post:

"When an adult took standardized tests forced on kids"
By Marion Brady

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/when-an-adult-took-standardized-tests-forced-on-kids/2011/12/05/gIQApTDuUO_blog.html

“I won’t beat around the bush,” he wrote in an email. “The math
section had 60 questions. I knew the answers to none of them, but
managed to guess ten out of the 60 correctly. On the reading test, I
got 62% . In our system, that’s a “D”, and would get me a mandatory
assignment to a double block of reading instruction.

He continued, “It seems to me something is seriously wrong. I have a
bachelor of science degree, two masters degrees, and 15 credit hours
toward a doctorate.

=========

That links to another article, which I find particularly interesting:

"Principals rebel against ‘value-added’ evaluation"
by Valerie Strauss

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/principals-rebel-against-value-added-evaluation/2011/11/03/gIQAHEHBjM_blog.html

Scores of public school principals in New York are fighting the
state’s new educator evaluation system, which ties the evaluations
and pay of teachers and principals to how well students do on
standardized tests.

IMHO some kind of revolt is long overdue.