Re: [Phys-l] Blind student in lab?

We had a blind young woman in our introductory physics lab a few years back. She had a student [assigned by support services, who had not taken physics] working with her who would describe details she could not feel and make sure everything was safe. She would either work by touch, when that was practical, or explain what she would like the assistant to do when it was not, in cooperation with her lab partners. She was very motivated and I was impressed by how little drama was actually involved. Once the assistant and her lab partners worked out a team rhythm, no one really regarded anything about the situation as especially unusual after that point, as far as I was aware from either her, her lab partners, or her lab instructor.

David Craig

<http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>