Re: [Phys-l] Never Trust a Theoretician! - Monty Hall Revisited.

The answer is 2/3 probability if you switch.

Imagine the game this way:
You: Monty, I would like to choose both doors #2 AND #3. I want you to give me the best prize that's behind either of those doors.
Monty: I'm sorry but you have to pick just one door.
You: I could play by your rules. But let me tell you ahead of time that I'm going to choose door #1. And then you will show me that either door 2 or 3 is a non-winner. At that time I will switch my choice to the the other door -- the best of doors #2 and #3.

Or extend the game to 100 doors with only one prize. You choose a door and Monty can always reveal 98 non-winning doors. (Better yet, picture playing Minesweeper on a 10x10 grid with one mine. You pick a square. I show you 98 squares with no mine.) The odds of winning by not switching are 1/100. But when you switch you get the best choice of all of the other 99 doors - 99/100.

Paul