From: "marx@phy.ilstu.edu" <marx@phy.ilstu.edu>
Date: Wed, Nov 2, 2011 9:27 pm
Subject: [Phys-l] Midterm Bonus Question (University of Washington)
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Apparently, snopes.com has tracked down its origin...see the following
article for an interesting read...

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/hell.asp

I love how these stories have been passed around for years, with some
minor, and some major, variations. Each, of course, is started with a
"this is a true story, and isn't the student clever?" introduction.

Ever hear the other variations on "Is Hell endothermic or exothermic?". Or
the ones about the barometer measuring the building height? Or the
cheek-cell-culture ones?

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the
unknown. Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To
bow before the one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the
unknown, but never to the unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"