Re: [Phys-l] three central misconceptions about relativity

Thanks to everyone for their input. Unfortunately I did not make my question clear, so I will try and clarify what it is I want to know.

Firstly, I put the sample questions at the bottom of my post simply to illustrate the sort of questions the students are assessed on. Answering those questions posed no particular problems for me (nor I hope for them). In fact they are not particularly "testing" questions, if you will forgive the pun.

The exert from the Syllabus is more important to me, in that the Syllabus document represents the material that I am supposed to impart to students. When I teach Phyiscs I want to:

a) Improve students' understanding about physics and the universe they live in
b) use good pedagogy that helps develop their conceptual understanding, improve their scientific skills and fuel their curiosity; so that they have a love of thinking about and learning about our universe
c) prepare students who are going on to further study.

I am particularly concerned that what they learn in my classroom will not have to unlearned or undone in university. I would hate to be teaching my students misconceptions and harming their learning.

SO, given the material the syllabus says I am supposed to cover and given the statement by JD -

3. explain qualitatively and quantitatively the consequence of
special relativity in relation to:

– the relativity of simultaneity – the equivalence between mass and
energy – length contraction – time dilation – mass dilation
Jeepers!
a) Relativity does in fact explain the breakdown of simultaneity
>at a distance. However ...
b) The idea of clocks that can't be trusted is a Bad Idea
c) The idea of rulers that can't be trusted is a Bad Idea
d) Mass is provably not equivalent to energy. I assume you realize
>that if you go down that road, you wind up with a longitudinal mass
>and a transverse mass and who-knows-what-all else ... and they can't
>all be equivalent to the energy.
e) More generally, the idea of velocity-dependent mass is a Bad Idea.
Ideas (b) through (e) are as dead as phlogiston.

What approach should I take with my students that will allow me to cover the Syllabus (in case they are asked inane questions about length contraction etc) but wont harm their learning about relativity at an intro level? For example, should it be a historical approach that leads to a modern understanding OR some other approach that then looks back at the Syllabus and critically evaluates the content we are asked to teach? I would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Regards

Peter Craft
Head Teacher Science
Corowa High School