From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Bellina
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:38 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] [PTSOS] anvil and sledgehammer inertia demo

Ever go bowling?

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Physics
Co-Director
Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:26 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

The really important demo is to show that a moving object
with balanced forces remains in constant motion.

I substantially agree. What are your favorite demos of this, suitable
for a classroom?

The first thing that came to my mind was driving a car
horizontally. I press the gas pedal too strongly and the car
accelerates; I press it much less strongly and the car slows down.

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html