Re: [Phys-l] nifty question

On 9/22/2010 9:56 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
I've been thinking lately about hanging cables. I came across the
following neat question (which has a simple answer).

Consider an ideal (ie. cannot stretch, and can bend freely) cable
suspended from two points of equal height (that are closer together
than the cable's length). The cable adopts the shape of a catenary
(hyperbolic cosine).

Now suppose you hang a weight from the center of the cable. Does the
cable's center of mass move up, down, or remain at the same height?

Have fun thinking about it! If you see the simple solution, don't
give it away too quickly! -Carl

I am lacking the critical insight. I may not even have the question properly
addressed.
Suppose I hang a light string between pylons, so that the curve is described by
y = cosh(x) for x [-2..2] The midpoint is evidently at 0,1 Now I add a very
heavy weight to the center point so that the string has two straight sections.

The CoG of the ensemble is inevitably lower. That cannot be the question that
Carl intends to frame. Perhaps he is asking, for the center weighted,
what happens to the CoG of the string ALONE? Here I expect he means us
to answer that the CoG rises, but I come to this graphically.

I am certainly missing the glorious simplicity. Could it be we are intended
to visualize a property of an object with least potential energy, so that a
central weight which pulls the center down, with some expenditure of work,
invokes a reactionary work in the up direction?

One can certainly invoke analytical models of cables or chains of this kind
with or without perturbations to track the dynamics, but this is certainly
the sledgehammer wielded for something that needs no more
(I can suppose ) than a toffee hammer?
Help me out..
Brian W