Re: [Phys-l] "Unlearning"

It seems to me that this is not evidence of unlearning, here is an alternative:

On Monday students have stored the memory that the instructors shirt was blue. On Tuesday they store the image/memory of the shirt being red. On Wed both are in storage and what they "recall" depends on which memory they access.

I think that there is a lot of experimental evidence that students (and faculty) who have learned Newtonian physics will access their still existing knowledge of Aristotelian/medieval physics if the situation is presented in a way to elicit that. (For faculty it requires some time pressure.)

It seems to me very important whether we model learning a new alternative as involving erasing the old beliers/concepts or instead as creating a new one which exists alongside the old one.

Richard Grandy
Philosophy & Cognitive Sciences
Rice University
Houston TX USA

There is an example of unlearning from cognitive science. It is now known
that when you recall something you store it back before it leaves short term
memory. This is called reconsolidation. It is possible to use this to
unlearn something.

The classic experiment is where the professor comes into a class on Monday
with a blue shirt. He calls attention to it. Then the next day he asks the
class what color shirt he had on, and many will remember it was blue. Then
he asks the class to just mentally picture him as coming in a red shirt.
The following day he give a small quiz asking what color shirt he had on
Monday. A significant number will respond red. They will even argue that
they saw it as red, and that he couldn't have had a blue shirt.

This is one of the reasons for prediction before demos. The original memory
can be effectively erased by subsequent cognition. After all we do not have
infinite memory, so we have to erase some things. But you don't necessarily
erase everything, so you modify some mental structures, but some others can
be erased.

Unlearning in the case of physics often involves much more difficult
changes. The students have to modify long standing conceptual paradigms
that they formed through observation and through social communication. The
social interaction part of the message is often very hard to break. So the
idea of there being no gravity in space is often very hard to overcome. You
can ask them why the astronauts stayed on the Moon and you will get the
reply they wore heavy boots. The problem here is that their ability to
realize when things are contradictory is low. They need both an increase in
thinking ability and experience in physics, or at least science.

So unlearning or reconsolidation does exist as experiments have shown. Look
it up!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX