Re: [Phys-l] bound vectors ... or not

On 09/08/2010 10:49 AM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

I believe the real device follows the simplified physics much better
as the line of action approaches being tangent to the edge of the
disk,

That's for sure. Everything is much simpler in the
small-angle approximation.

But then you don't need to bother with the slot,
or bother with a strictly linear force motor ...
because an ordinary piston connected to a crank
with ordinary pins is linear in the small-angle
approximation.

The underlying principle remains 100% correct and
useful, but it's not obvious to me how to exemplify
it using pins sliding in slots.

One simple example of the principle is to attach
a rocket motor at point A, point B, or point C.
If the points lie along the same line of action,
you get the same torque in each case.