From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of Jeffrey Schnick
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:16 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] bound vectors ... or not

The torque on the disk in the upper diagram is greater than
the torque on the disk on the lower diagram. In both cases
the force exerted by the pin (vector F_p) on the slot wall is
perpendicular to the slot wall.
That force is (very close to being) perpendicular to the
position vector of the point of application of the force
relative to the axis of the disk (vector r). Hence the
magnitude of the torque is just
(approximately) r Fp (the product of the magnitudes of the vectors).
Both r and Fp are greater in the upper diagram since, in the
upper diagram, the point of contact (between the pin and the
slot wall) is farther away from the axis of the disk and the
constant horizontal component of the force represents the
smaller component of the total force (vector F_p) in the
upper diagram (expressed as a horizontal component plus a
vertical component) whereas it is the only component of the
force (vector F_p) in the lower diagram.