Re: [Phys-l] bound vectors ... or not

This thread brings to mind the taxonomy of free vs. bound CHARGES which we find useful to define in the standard analysis of the electric potential/field produced by polarized dielectrics.
In this treatment the 1/r^2 potential of a volume of dipoles is shown to be MATHEMATICALLY equivalent to the 1/r potential of a distribution of "bound" monopole charges (rho = -Div P) throughout the dielectric volume and a "bound" surface charge on its surface (sigma = P_n). We call these equivalent charge distributions "bound charges" and distinguish them from any "free" actual monopole charges in the environment. This is standard analysis and language.

We define that language which we find to be useful (and sometimes confusing/misleading).

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (EM)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/