Re: [Phys-l] bound vectors ... or not

On 09/06/2010 06:14 AM, treborsci@verizon.net wrote:
One might say that a vector field (e.g. the electric field E(r,t) ) defines
a vector (E) associated with, "located at", (or "bound to") each space-time
point.

We all agree that idea of vector fields is a good one.

This does not however shed any light on the "bound vectors"
issue. The vectors in a vector field are not "bound" the
way a "bound vector" is bound.

I misunderstood this point yesterday. If there is any
confusion on this point, it's partly my fault. Sorry!

===============

I am increasingly confident that the terms can be translated
as follows, translating from terms that are unfamiliar to us
to terms that are familiar in the math and physics literature:

"bound vector" --> pair of points
"free vector" --> vector
i.e. plain honest-to-goodness vector
i.e. direction and magnitude only

Given a vector u from A to B, and a vector v from C to D,
we say u=v if and only if they have the same direction and
magnitude. Commonly u=v even though A does not equal C
and B does not equal D.

Given a pair of points (A,B) I can construct the point A,
the point B, and the vector from A to B. The converse
absolutely does not hold. The fact is, given a vector u I
cannot reconstruct the points A and B, because there are
innumerable pairs of points that all give the same vector.