[Phys-l] migrating cross product --> wedge product

On 09/06/2010 09:19 AM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Question: on your clifford page and its discussion of bivectors, why
do you (apparently) maintain what I would call a conventional view of
the dot product but eschew the term "cross product" in lieu of wedge
product (if I read it correctly)?

An excellent question. I am kicking myself for not having
already addressed this point on the web page. I just now added
a couple of subsections:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/clifford-intro.htm#sec-visualize
http://www.av8n.com/physics/clifford-intro.htm#sec-peda-symmetry

Thanks for the question.

It appears to be only because of
the (not unimportant) extension to higher dimensions (that is, all
cross products are wedge, but not all wedge are cross) not to mention
symmetry considerations.

Not "only" for that reason.

Fine, but I think the engineering proponents
of free and bound vectors are firmly grounded in 3 dimensions at
most.

OK.....

The discussion of bivector, for them, is an unnecessary
complication, just as the distinction between free and bound has also
been in this discussion.

Maybe the higher-dimensional stuff is unnecessary, but there
is a lot more to the story than that. As a minor point,
the bivector approach also works in *lower* dimensions, i.e.
two dimensions (unlike the cross product) so that is already
useful, but this is just the flea on the penguin on the tip
of the iceberg.

I prefer the geometric approach for the simplest of practical
pedagogical reasons: I can get good results using wedge products.
The more elementary the context, and the more unprepared the
students, the more helpful wedge products are. I can visualize
the wedge product, and I can get the students to visualize it.
(This stands in stark contrast to the cross product, which
tends to be very mysterious to students.)

Specifically: Consider gyroscopic precession. I have done the
pedagogical experiment more times than I care to count. I
have tried it both ways, using cross products (pseudovectors)
and/or using wedge products (bivectors). Precession can be
understood using little more than the addition of bivectors,
adding them edge-to-edge. For the picture on this, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/clifford-intro.htm#sec-addition
I can use my hands to represent the bivectors to be added, or
(even better) I can show up with simple cardboard props.

Getting students to visualize angular momentum as a bivector
in the plane of rotation takes no time at all. In contrast,
getting them to visualize it as a pseudovector along the
axis of rotation is a big production; even a bright student
is going to struggle with this, and the not-so-bright
students are never going to get it.

Maybe this just means I’m doing a lousy job of explaining
cross products, but even if that’s true, I’ll bet there are
plenty of teachers out there who find themselves in the
same situation and would benefit from taking the bivector
approach.

========

Another whole category of reasons has to do with symmetry.
See
http://www.av8n.com/physics/pierre-puzzle.htm

I take very seriously the symmetry of the laws of physics.
IMHO this is the flesh and bone of physics.