[Phys-l] UPS solution Was:Re: web server fiasco

UCSC does cogen. ** They are off the grid by having their own methane (gas supply same co. as the grid) e. gens. the "left over" "heat" is used to heat (pc) water that circulates to buildings underground. I don't remember CATS ever crashing.

My expensive*** Blufton solution is to use the grid to charge batts. that supply an uninterrupted P/S designed for continuous use. Even better use roof top solar.

**I'm not quite correct, here's some good (but dated) info.

http://www1.ucsc.edu/currents/00-01/06-25/cogeneration.html

During my tenure at UCSC some monkey wrenchers cut the grid and the backup wasn't supplying Sinsheimer (Bio labs building).

The caretaker where I lived had a gasoline powered gen., which I took to power several of their refrigerators. Without very likely woulda delayed severely several doctoral students their disst. I got a thank you from the chair and a cheque for the owner. The building was very noisy from several of these gens.