Re: [Phys-l] web server fiasco

In case you're wondering what's worse than being offline: For
quite a while in there, it was serving _wrong pages_.

OK, that's bad, but recently a local colo service housing a box (for which I am technical contact) decided to be acquired by a bigger colo service in the next town over. The original colo let us know, but it went downhill from there. The new colo was on a different IP block, and they just changed the routing over without notifying us. Suddenly there was nothing routed to ANY of the old colo boxes (an entire room full of different companies that had colos there, not just us). Fine, but screw the vaunted 24hr service promise. We were locked out of the old colo building for *10 days* and could not get a single phone call returned. Finally, the old colo owner, who knew the secrets of the building, helped us *break in,* whereupon we "stole" our box out in the dead of night, enabling us to bring it back up on a spare IP I have at work. Still no word from the new (obviously fired) colo, like for example "hey you can't just break in and take stuff!"

I contend my story competes, and needless to say, I do not have a recommendation for you at this time :-)

As to RAID, we use it too, and it seems so far to have been a magic protection bullet, In 6 years now, no disk failures at all.

Stefan Jeglinski, knocking hard on wood right now