Re: [Phys-l] each error bar == one standard deviation

Unless otherwise specified very explicitly:
-- For a Gaussian, each error bar is one standard deviation.
Note that this is approximately equal to the HWHM.
The + and - error bars together cover 68% of the probability.
-- For a triangular distribution, each error bar is exactly
one HWHM. The + and - error bars together cover 75% of the
probability.
-- For a square distribution, each error bar is exactly one
HWHM. The + and - error bars together cover 100% of the
probability.

There are other common conventions. For example, NIST sticks with +/- 1 standard deviation for all of these. (http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Uncertainty/typeb.html)

"The following figure schematically illustrates the three distributions described above: normal, rectangular, and triangular. In the figures, µt is the expectation or mean of the distribution, and the shaded areas represent ± one standard uncertainty u about the mean. For a normal distribution, ± u encompases about 68 % of the distribution; for a uniform distribution, ± u encompasses about 58 % of the distribution; and for a triangular distribution, ± u encompasses about 65 % of the distribution."

I'm not saying one convent is better than another -- I'm just saying varying conventions are out there.

Tim Folkerts