[Phys-l] Deep Metaphysical Implications or Hubris???

From an ongoing discussion on another list. Perhaps this might be of
interest here.

This is a link to posts by Sinclair, the physicist who co-wrote the
Blackwell volume and specifically the Kalam arguments. There is discussion re:
topological vs. temporal existence of various things including God and
quantum gravity towards the bottom, though I would read through this in its
entirety to see how they respond to objections. Reading this may help address
objections that have already been responded to by either Sinclair or Craig.

http://rfforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=27780645&postcou
nt=36

and general posts by Sinclair:
http://rfforum.websitetoolbox.com/search?searchid=8733582&showas=post&userid
=870845

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Smith makes the obvious point that it's not logically consistent to talk
about there being a time before time existed. Language of emergence of time
always falls into this semantic trap. We can't help it, we are "beings in
time" and our brains and our language can only form conceptions in terms of
time evolution. But the question of time, it's apparent non existence in
Quantum gravity, and the apparent illusionary nature of time evolution in
relatively which gives us the block Universe paradigm isn't going to go away in
my opinion. Carroll tries to model time as ever present and eternal but I
think his efforts fail.

One of the things that attracted me to the ideas in Vic's book "Timeless
Reality, Symmetry, Simplicity, and Multiple Universes" was that Vic offers us
a way to think about "timeless reality" that doesn't cause our thought
processes to spiral into the ground. In Vic book, he models timelessness as a
kind of superposition of time reversed states. I think this is very
helpful. I related how one might think of this in terms of a simple toy model
which is really just a helpful mathematical cartoon, nothing more, but I think
it helps us get our brain around this question.

Here it us again.

Emergence of Time

. There is a toy model I use which illustrates, I think, how we can
"imagine" time emerging from a timeless Universe. It's inspiration is Vic's
"Timeless Universe" though all the blame here is mine.
In QM time evolution is represented by the rotation of the state vector.
But in the Hawking Hartle wave function we can write as a toy model
Y_HH= (1/2)* {Y (+CPT) +Y (-CPT)} = (1/2)*(exp [-i*theta] +exp [i*theta])
Here we have no rotation hence this is a timeless wave function. But we
can decompose this as
Y (+CPT) = {1/(x+2)}* exp [i*theta] + {(x+1)/(x+2)*exp [-i*theta]
Where time emerges as x grows
(in the negative rotation direction)
and
Y (-CPT) = {1/(x+2}* exp [-i*theta] + {(x+1)/(x+2)*exp [i*theta]
Where time emerges as x grows
(in the positive rotation direction, which is time reversed from the
Y(+CPT) wave function)
This is crude but perhaps makes it easier to think about emergent time.
Smith is quite right in his criticism of the language physicist use to
describe the emergence of time. But Hawking in his best seller book "A Brief
History of Time" seems to describe timeless reality in a way that makes
sense and in my view escapes Smith's critical comments. In my opinion, it's too
bad that Smith doesn't take the leap that Hawking does, but it's
understandable. Like fish in water we are beings in time, we can't conceptualize
timelessness. Hawking writes:
"If Euclidean space time stretches back to infinite imaginary time, or
else starts at a singularity in imaginary time, we have the same problem as in
the classical theory of specifying the initial state of the Universe. God
may know how the Universe began, but we cannot give any particular reason
for thinking it began one way rather than the other. On the other hand, the
Quantum theory of gravity has opened up a new possibility, in which there
would be no boundary to space time and so there be no need to specify the
behavior at the boundary, There would be no singularities at which the laws
of physics broke down, and no edge of space-time at which one would have to
appeal to God or some new law to set the boundary conditions for
space-time. One could say - The boundary condition of the Universe is that it has no
boundary-The Universe would be completely self contained and not effected
by anything outside itself. It would be neither created or destroyed, it
would just BE. "
End Quote
Imbedded in the no boundary model is the BIVERSE, the perfect expression
of timelessness. Hawking resisted this idea, he and Hartle mistakably though
their Euclidean space time formulation was describing a cycling Universe
which reverses the AOT during collapse. It wasn't till the actual
implication of their model was pointed out to them by Don Page that Hawking accepted
the possible reality of a CPT reversed partner to our Universe.
Of course, it must be kept in mind that the physics here may be wrong, in
part or whole. But I don't think we will find a way to have common sense
notion of time (or space) in any future Quantum theory of gravity. We see
this in String theory, for example (though through a glass darkly) because the
very notion of event is banished in the string theory formalism. What
replaces any notion that the Universe is a set of events is a topological
structure of world sheets. Likewise, in describing the behavior of fundamental
particles, as pointed out in Vic's book "Timeless Reality," we may think of
them as static four space structures which emerge as the time evolution of
the particle's history by the coarse graining of information. Obviously if
this s itrue, this has enormous metaphysical implications. Is physics
really giving us deep and counter intuitive insights into the foundation of
reality or is this just terrible Hubris. No doubt opinions will always differ
on the answer to this question.
Bob Zannelli